Tuesday 5 August 2014

HUMOROUS #LEADERSHIP LESSON

This morning in my rush to be on time for my students where I lecture Brand Management twice a week, I encountered a refreshing Leadership 101 experience.  With a few minutes to spare and the students still outside, I was setting up the equipment to be ready when they enter the lecture room…

At one stage I had to connect my laptop to the power supply; which forms part of my daily routine.  Today, while I was bending over to enable the connection, the pressure was way too much for my suit pants.  Within seconds the empty lecture room echoed that familiar, embarrassing, tearing pants sound and I felt a mild breeze almost instantly.

I started laughing uncontrollably with my elbows on my thighs in an attempt to maintain my balance.  The laughter paralysed my movement for a few seconds, which felt like an entirety.   Eventually, I regained my composure, just in-time, because the students were slowly entering the room.

My spontaneous reaction, to my surprise, was to share the embarrassing moment with my students; their reaction after sharing, can only be described as unexpected.  After a quick chuckle they gave me permission to keep my jacket on; the lecture continued without any further wardrobe malfunctions.  So, the incident did not consume any unnecessary energy or possible stress of the underwear becoming outerwear.

The flipchart activities where carefully planned to avoid movements where my back is turned towards the students.  Nogal effortless!

Instead of over-reacting by elevating the incident into a crises, my decision to be upfront with the students, affirmed what we all knew; incidents such as this, occur almost every day; most importantly, it is not such a big deal.  Honesty has no substitute…

Eight years ago my reaction would have been different…

If someone asked me today how are you doing, my response in Afrikaans would have been: “dit gaan broekskeer”.

No comments:

Post a Comment